AromaTech assists brands in creating a unique experience for customers by using ambient scent in a store or place of business. We will work with you to design and manufacture a signature scent for your business that will set you apart from your competitors.
Scent can influence up to 75% of our emotions as our sense of smell has a direct link to the limbic system in the brain, responsible for our moods, our memories, and our emotions. Making your store smell amazing can create a positive emotional association that keeps customers coming back for more.
In the minds of your target customers, your signature scent will go hand-in-hand with the name of your company. Simply hearing your business’ name can trigger a memory of your store’s scent and help to recall the satisfying purchases a customer has bought from you before.
Why Your Business Should Be Using Scent Marketing
The most frequently asked question for businesses interested in this phenomenon is, what is scent marketing? To put it simply, scent marketing is the use of carefully-selected aromas to invite customers to spend more time in your establishment as they shop.
Here are four typical examples of how scent can affect your customers.
- Coffee shops are known for their intoxicating scent of freshly-ground coffee. You can pick up whiffs of this cent before you even see the store, and the aroma could make a customer involuntarily sit down with their laptops and virtually write a screenplay while drinking coffee after coffee.
- Movie theatres all over the world are famous for the scent of buttery popcorn. You can often hear the popcorn popping as well, which adds another layer of authenticity to the positive memory.
- Hardware stores are synonymous with the smell of freshly-cut wood and even though some people may never have bought wood before, everyone recognises the smell.
- Lush is another excellent example of a business harnessing a signature scent. The clean, fresh smell of Lush bath bombs and shampoo bars make the brand recognisable from across a shopping mall.
So what exactly is the science behind this trend? An adult can distinguish upwards of 10,000 distinct scents and, interestingly enough, our bodies create new scent neurons every few weeks. Even if you lose your vision as you age, you’ll probably still be able to recognise the scent of cinnamon when you are 99 years old.
How to Identify Your Business’ Signature Scent
Scent is one of the strongest senses that links our brains to memories and emotions. By picking the right scent you can create an entire experience for your customers triggered simply by them walking through your store.
The first step in identifying your business’ signature scent is deciding which sensation or mood is best suited to represent your brand. You can use scent to represent the essence of your company.
For example, if you sell high-end products such as jewellery or upmarket furniture, you may want to consider rich, earthy tones, which can give your customers the feeling of luxury and abundance.
A fresh, clean citrus scent can represent a youthful brand because citrus oil promotes a happy, uplifting, and energizing mood.
If you’re in the food business, something appetising such as cinnamon or nutmeg may be an ideal choice.
If you are the proprietor of a successful hair salon franchise, rose, geranium, and lavender are all strong options.
For a clothing store specialising in swimwear, the scent of coconut or cedarwood could make your brand instantly identifiable with warm, sunny, salty beach days.
Benefits of Scent Marketing
There are many reasons to use scent marketing, so we’ve compiled a short list of the top five benefits of having a signature scent for your business.
- Increased sales - some studies show certain scents can increase the chances of a customer making a purchase.
- Brand identity - scent can relay so much information to our brains. It is often the first thing we process, without even noticing we’re doing it. The scent you choose can very quickly become recognisable as your business’ unique smell without asking for any additional commitment from your customers.
- Lingering longer - studies show customers may stay in a place with a pleasant, interesting smell up to 44% longer.
- Staff productivity - diffusing an energy-promoting scent in your shop can increase the productivity of your staff and help promote a better mood.
If you haven’t yet considered scent marketing, you may be missing out on one of the most effective marketing tools to date. Home aromatherapy has helped millions of people, so why not use that effect on a larger scale to influence consumers from the second they smell your business’ personalised scent?
Why You Should Choose AromaTech
At AromaTech, we can create a custom scent for your business that suits your brand perfectly. We use only the highest-quality essential oils and we brainstorm, design, and create your iconic scent with you so you know for a fact your scent will connect with your customers and become a meaningful part of the emotional experience of visiting your business.
Once you have identified your scent, you will be able to diffuse the scent throughout all your locations using any of our AromaTech cool air diffusers to create an unparalleled ambience. Our technology is very different from ultrasonic diffusers and reed diffusers. Our specially-designed cold air diffusers deliver a consistent daily scent without hassle or mess. As long as you keep adding our oils, the signature scent will be the same each day and will continue to create positive associations for your customers.
With internal timers, our diffusers can be set to work during specific hours, and you can control the intensity of the scent. While reed diffusers gradually smell less and less intense as the days go by, with our diffusers, the scent is consistent and the quality is unparalleled. Contact us to discuss scent marketing for your business today.